“Countinous Integration is about preventing your developers from burning in Integration Hell” – @s_bergmann
My code is perfect, yours is pretty good and then Martin…well, he’s a fucking idiot. (lost where he was going with this story). D=
Team member should integrate their work frequently. This reduces errors when managing multiple team members. The value (ROI) is in:
- reducing risk
- reduce repetitive processes
- generate deployable software
- enable better project visibility
- establish greater product confidence
- helps with late discovery of defects
- regression testing
- test coverage
- prevents low quality software
- coding standard adherance
- prevents lack of deployable software
How do we implement it
We need build automation.
You start by identifying repetitive processes (running tests, analyzing source code, packaging, deployment). You want to make these processes a non-event.
Static code analysis
Lines of code gives a text-based metric for code size.
- Lines of code (loc)
- comment lines of code (cloc)
- non-comment lines of code (ncloc)
- executable lines of code (eloc)
Code duplication. Is it textually identical? token for token identical? functionally identical? Dupicate code contradicts code reuse. Co-Evolution of clones hinders maintenance. There is a tool called PHPCPD (a copy-paste detector). Highest they’ve seen is 16% duplication in a code base of 5 million lines of code.
Cyclomatic complexity counts the number of branching points such as if, for,foreach,while,case,catch,&&,””,ternary operatory. NPath Complexity counts the number of execution paths. Higher complexity leads to more errors and makes testing harder.
You can analyze code with “sniffs”.
- apache ant
- gnu make
- shell scripts
Reviewing some of the tools that got covered in another talk I blogged about. If anything new/interesting is added, i’ll list it. @s_bergmann recommends Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org). Apparently very easy to use and is used by some big names like Sun.
Related articles by Zemanta
- PHP Code Review (slideshare.net)
- Continuous Integration of PHP Projects (slideshare.net)
- Applied Lean Startup Ideas: Continuous Deployment at kaChing (slideshare.net)
- How can you improve, harmonize and automate your development process using tools like Maven, Hudson, and Nexus? This presentation is a high-level overview of Java software development process improvement. (slideshare.net)
Looking for something?
Use the form below to search the site:
Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!