Update: so far the battery life is holding out to be good. I’m getting less call fails but not sure if that’s just a coincidence. Installs are definitely faster. Mail seems the same. Genius is awesome. Texting and contacts seem the same. Going to keep checking things out over the weekend.
Like anyone else who owns an iPhone 3G, I’ve been excited about today. I would like to right a full review on this but need to get work done so impressions will have to do. I did find a 2.1 firmware review at iSmashPhone.com.
Let’s start with what this update is according to the apple site, we get the following:
- Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls
- Significantly better battery life for most users
- Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
- Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- Faster installation of 3rd party applications
- Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
- Improved performance in text messaging
- Faster loading and searching of contacts
- Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
- Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
- Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
- Genius playlist creation
The big thing (for me) out of this update is the “Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes” and OMG it is amazing. It still takes a while to back up but comparatively to before, it is like comparing a 28.8 modem to a T1. As for everything else, I haven’t had time to test and will probably play with things over the weekend. Below is a quick overview of what I noticed.
My reception at works sucks so can’t really say much on the “Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls” part until I get to a good area, even then, it would be best to test over the week end. The same goes with the battery claim, time will tell if that holds true. Actually everything else would also require a brief test period to have a proper impression. Though one thing I can ‘test’ is the Genius playlist, which I’m going to play with now and will update this post later.